Thursday, October 10, 2013

Week of October 10




Thursday Thoughts October 10




Two staff members expressed a desire to contribute to this week's blog.  Kendra Deans is proud of her mom and thankful for her being a breast cancer survivor.  Judy Zollman is a survivor herself and wanted to share her personal testimony with us.  Please see below:

Fifteen years ago, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  This journey has brought me where I am today.  Even though the surgeries, chemotherapy and scans were brutal, I survived.  I have realized that everyone must look at life in a positive way.    Cancer made me realize what is important in life and what isn't.  I try not to worry about the small stuff and focus  on the things  I love. Having a new outlook on life was one of the biggest gifts  cancer gave me.  When a life threatening experience happens, it is amazing how many people come out to support you.  Medlock Bridge was part of my recovery.  There wasn't a day that went by that staff, students and parents didn't contact me or offer to help my family. This continued for over a year and I am so grateful.  Since my recovery, I have supported other staff members and families that are on this journey and I feel very blessed.  When detected early, cancer can be treated.  I encourage all women to get their mammogram, and be aggressive with their health! Please pass the gift of life on to others.  - Judy

Many thanks to these ladies for sharing with us.  My goal is to not only honor those who have experiences to share, but also encourage you, our staff,  to take care of yourselves and visit the doctor annually.  Wearing pink is great but it should also serve as a reminder for us to get our check ups.  Have a great weekend and I hope you enjoy a well deserved (and overdue) Monday off!



Staff Spotlight:
This week I would like to shine the spotlight on Jennifer Serafin and Kristen Bates, our TAG teachers. These ladies are embracing the components of the 4 C's by not only teaching students the skills within the TAG classroom, but also introducing creativity activities to students in the general education upper grade classrooms.   These ladies have a wealth of resources and ideas to share if you are interested in incorporating the 4 C's into your daily instruction.   They have also secured speakers to come and present to their students on several different topics.  I am very appreciative they have taken the mystery out of the TAG identification process for parents by creating a website  where we (staff) can steer parents who have multiple questions about the process.  Thank you ladies for taking the TAG program to the next level.

4C's: Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, Critical Thinking Skills

Learning Science Through Inquiry Infographic
 

Technology Tidbits:

Check out the following websites:

http://www.teacherstryscience.org/lp
Project based lesson plans for upper grades


http://scienceofeverydaylife.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/
Inquiry based lesson plans for K-5



News & Notes
 
School Governance Elections will take place November 13th-19th.  Thank you to those who have submitted a declaration of candidacy.  Please note that the last day to submit your information to the County is Tuesday, October 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment