Thursday, March 5, 2015

Week of March 5

Thursday Thoughts March 5

 

 
A few weeks ago I had to work a concession stand shift at Chattahoochee High School. During my shift, one of my former Abbotts Hill students walked up to the stand.  I immediately recognized him even though it had been six years since we'd last seen each other.  He is now a junior.    This young man was one of the first Autistic students that I had ever worked with in my capacity as an assistant principal.  We spent ALOT of time together from the time he was in second grade until he went on to middle school.  In fact, I still have a framed picture of me and this student in my office.  He walked up to the concession stand and said, "Hi Mrs. Hutchens, I want a popcorn."  This small interchange was significant to me because he was never one to say much to me.  I told him that I was surprised that he remembered me and I tried to ask him how he's been but he ignored my questions and proceeded to ask for the popcorn again.  Needless to say, I smiled to myself, got the popcorn and he went on his way.   I wish I could tell you that I made some profound impact on his life or that I noticed a huge change in him, but I can't.  What I can tell you is that during our time together, I treated him with love and compassion even when it was difficult.  Even when he was wailing in my office, throwing things around and yes even being suspended, I made sure that he knew that although I did not love his behavior, I still loved him.    You may never know if you have made a positive impact on a child's life but I hope that as you work with all children, you make that your goal. 

 

Staff Spotlight
This week I would like to recognize Kate Johnston.  Being a new teacher at Medlock can be challenging to say the least.  The expectations of lesson planning, differentiating every lesson and even parent communication are all bit overwhelming.  Kate has grown tremendously throughout the year.  She uses feedback to improve her instructional practices and understands the value in collaboration with her team.  She loves her students and has taken the time to really get to know them.  Kate, thank you for giving your best to our students everyday. 
 
 
 
 
  4C's: Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, Critical Thinking Skills
 

The Profile of a Modern Teacher


One of the greatest misconceptions in education today is that certain teachers have a higher natural aptitude in technology than others.
This inspirationalgraphic sets out to disprove that notion and remind the audience that external skills are only a function of the internal dispositions that allowed them to grow.


Technology Tidbits

 http://www.cobbk12.org/sites/literacy/math/math2.htm- Over 70 different links to math sites sorted by topic.

News & Notes

Dr. Avossa's visit to Medlock Bridge will be on Wednesday, April 22nd at 2:45pm in the Media Center.  Please email me any specific topics that you would like him to cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment