Thursday, January 12, 2017

Week of January 12


                Thursday Thoughts January 12


                                                                            


So far, 2017 is off to a good start.  I know that we are only twelve days into the new year but I have decided to take a fresh perspective on life as I start this year. While I don't really believe in making resolutions (because I can never keep them), I do believe in setting a focus at the beginning of the year.  Over the break, I came to realize that I am at my best when I am serving others.   Don't get me wrong, it is important to take care of yourself and take time to do things that you like to do.  But I have learned that when I focus on helping others, I am better able to see my own problems are small in comparison to the plight of many.

On Monday, we have a day to reflect on a man who gave his life serving others.  In fact, the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is considered to be a significant day of service all over the U.S.  As you embark on 2017, I urge you to strongly consider giving a bit of your time throughout the year to serve others in meaningful ways.  You may think that you are doing it for them, but you will quickly  learn that you are the one who will receive the greatest benefit.   Happy New Year!



Staff Spotlight
This week I would like to shine the spotlight on Rachel Jackson.  It is no secret that Rachel is a master teacher who works wonders in the classroom.  She is able to nurture each of her kindergarten students, giving them the instruction and guidance needed to begin their lifelong love of learning.  This year, Rachel has taken it upon herself to launch a Kindness Campaign among the Medlock staff.  While she kicked off the campaign with the snack cart (which we loved), I think the "smile" notes in the lounge are the biggest hit.  Often times, it is truly the little things that make the biggest impact in our daily existence.  A simple smile, a warm hello or a genuine "non work"  related conversation can make a rough day a bit more manageable.   I personally look forward to the weekly videos that Rachel sends out.  It means so much that she would take time out of her busy day to share a word of encouragement with all of us.  Rachel, thank you for being an example of how one person really can make a difference in the lives of others.  Medlock is a remarkable place to teach and learn because of staff members like you.
















No comments:

Post a Comment